Alaska!

Doug and I got to escape for a long weekend to Alaska (thanks mom & dad)!!

If I could move all of my family and friends somewhere with me...I may choose Alaska!!!  Just gorgeous!  First of all the air...refreshingly fresh!  More and more I'm thinking I'm a cool weather girl...just loved the crisp air!  All the pine trees, green mountains, snow covered mountains, water, adorable Northern Exposure-ish towns...I could go on and on.  Convinced God did some of His best work up there!!

Day 1:
After a good night's sleep in Anchorage...
...we hopped in the car, grabbed Starbucks, and got to travel down scenic Seward Highway...taking in the sights...with NO KIDS in the back seat asking for a snack, having to go potty or telling me "new song, new song" (an Olivia favorite lately!).  I love my girls to the moon and back fifty million infinity times...but sometimes I love just hanging out with my Doug. Especially when taking in scenery like this...
 
my handsome man:-)
We arrived at the Alyeska Resort...about an hour southeast of Anchorage in a town called Girdwood.  The hotel was set in the perfect spot...on the edge of Chugach National Park (the 3rd largest national park in the U.S.)...so lots of trails and mountains to take in!
After checking in we ventured off to hike our first trail.  I was super nervous about bears and moose...but the concierge gave us some safety tips (this is one time though I wished I had a gun!).  Doug played music on his phone...and I clapped for about the first 5 minutes...thought that would keep bears away for some reason...I only got a lot of dirty looks from Doug:-) 
Communicating to the outside world on the side of a mountain...:-)

Half way up to our goal...

We made it:-)
After hiking to the top...we took the tram down and spent some time at the pool!  We then took the tram back up to the top of the mountain for dinner!  This picture doesn't do the food justice...Doug said it may have been the best steak he's ever had (Wagyu beef)!  I also loved his fancy twice baked potato...didn't compare to grammy's...but very fashionable!  I had poached Halibut...a new fish for me...and I LOVED it!

The next day we went to a little town called Whittier, Alaska - which is on the Western edge of Prince William Sound.  Only 300 people live in the city (and 80% of them live in one building!) but 700,000 people visit the
town annually!  The town is reachable only by boat or through the Portage/Whittier tunnel.  It's a one way tunnel shared by east and west bound traffic, as well as the railroad.  So we had to sit in line and wait for a 1/2 hour to get the green light to pass through.  When in Whittier we hopped on a 6 hour glacier cruise of Prince William Sound.  A rainy day...but gorgeous nonetheless!  We saw seals, sea lions, sea otters and Bald Eagles, as well as lots of glaciers!  Beautiful!
These glaciers were so neat!  Tinted blue...and I guess when the sun is out...they're all different colors!
Pulling back into Whittier!

The Alaska Railroad!
Waiting in line for the tunnel! 
2.5 miles long!

Day 3
Day 3 was our last  full day and it was a beautiful sunny day!  We went for a morning hike then grabbed lunch at our favorite restaurant in Girdwood...Chair 5.  Doug went outside to read and take in more scenery...and I got to go to the spa for a massage...I felt spoiled:-)  We then headed into Anchorage to walk around, eat dinner then catch our flight. 
I thought this looked like a heart...Doug thought we should title the picture "butt head":-)  Such a nerd!

So sad to say good-bye...we had so much fun!  I love adventures with my hubby.  But we were happy to get back home to our girls...and will be back for sure.  Thankful for such a fun trip!!

Comments

orahoods said…
What a cool trip! Josh and I have planned out a long weekend for our anniversary and I'm SO SO nervous. I've never left the kids overnight so I'm finding it hard to be excited! This post lit a small fire of excitement somewhere beneath my worries! GREAT pics! You're a beauty Kim!

Popular posts from this blog

Ava's First Day of Kindergarten!

Funny Kate.

Words...