Changing Tastebuds

We're experimenting here in the Fighter home - working on changing taste buds.  Less of this stuff...

And more of this stuff...


My goal for our pantry and fridge this year is to try and get back to some of the basics.  We threw out most (not all:-)) of our sugary, processed foods - and have been trying to fill the shelves with foods made from basic natural ingredients.  It's been fun!  The past few weekends I made my first loaves of yeast bread - tried two different recipes for honey wheat bread - the second batch (above) came out much better than the first!  All it took was a little bit of unbleached/whole wheat flour, honey, real butter, eggs, yeast, water, real sugar, some kneading and rising, an oven and whola! 

I've also been doing homemade banana bread and muffins for breakfast, bought a waffle maker so we can make waffles from scratch (which has been fun for the girls), and tonight - I made my own pizza crust with homemade sauce (which has been my favorite thing so far!).  I've loved trying new recipes - and thankfully, the girls are humoring me and eating some of the stuff!  It really is interesting though - we have realized their little taste buds are used to SUGAR!  Everything I've made isn't as sweet as they're used to - and because of that - we've had a little bit of a curve to get through (they are for sure my daughters - darn sweet tooth!).  We're slowly making progress though.  Ava begged me for warm bread after it came out of the oven Sunday which boosted my confidence a bit:-)  So - we'll see how this experiment continues to go.  Wish me luck!!:-)

Comments

ziemkes said…
Good luck and keep at it, Kim. It will be the best decision you ever made! It tends to snowball and before you know you aren't buying hardly any of what you used to! Have fun and happy shopping!
Katie Steinbrunner said…
This bread looks delicious! Would love the recipe! We're doing the whole grain/whole wheat/little sugar thing too! Some of my favs = Quinoa with stir fry veggies & chicken and Mexican Lentil Casserole with brown rice! Yum!

Popular posts from this blog

Ava's First Day of Kindergarten!

Funny Kate.

Words...