Getting Old

I feel old tonight. 

First...I walked into church today and two of the first people I saw were kids I babysat when they were 1 & 3.  I haven't seen them since...and now, all of a sudden...they are all grown up, have jobs, going to college, etc.  Am I really this old?  Really???

Then...last week...I played softball for the first time in 8 years and had a blast.  It made me feel like a young whippersnapper.

Went back to play today...first time at bat, sprinting to first base, about 5 strides in...my quads tightened up into huge charlie horses....like nothing I'd ever felt before.  And it wasn't only one leg but both legs.  I tried to fight through and finish the sprint to first base...but my legs failed me!  Mind over matter did not work this time.  What the heck???!!! 

I walked off the field (after being called out...BOO) and figured I just needed to stretch, chug water and go run around an empty field to warm my muscles up a bit more. I'd be ready for my next time at bat...no problem.  Wrong! That made things worse...my quads were on fire.  Still convinced they would loosen up I iced and massaged for an inning, stretched, ran some more...still thinking I would be able to go back in.  No cigar.  Finally...the scorekeeper (who is also a wise nurse) said to me..."I'd sit out the rest of the game if I were you."  Well...that's no fun!  I listened though.  And tonight...I can barely get up and down, my best friend is ice (and icy hots - thanks Doug), and I smell like Ben-gay.  I feel old.

What the heck? 

I used to be able to jump into different sports, use different muscles, little to no stretching...with maybe a little soreness afterwards, but that was it. I feel as though I'm in fairly good shape...stick to a weekly workout routine (which includes running)...but today...the sprint got the best of me.  And I'll be honest...I did not stretch like I should have.  And now....I am paying for it. 

Old woman.  I'm pouting. And my husband keeps passing me the icy hots. Woe is me.

Comments

Kacy said…
maybe you just needed to eat a banana or something

Popular posts from this blog

Ava's First Day of Kindergarten!

Funny Kate.

Words...