Great weekend!

We had SUCH a fantastic weekend! Doug was out of town Friday for work, but the girls and I packed up that night and headed over to Ava & Kate's friend Emma's birthday party. It was a pool party complete with lots of friends from church, pizza, watermelon, hot summer weather, cupcakes, sprinklers and a tent tunnel. The girls had an absolute ball and so did I. The time out of the house with friends was much needed! It was heartwarming to watch the girls run around, laugh and play all night with a handful of kids their age. I tell you there is nothing better than to watch and hear children laugh and play (and makes it that much better when a few of them are your own!). And, for me...it was just so nice hanging out with friends...some near and dear to my heart that I grew up with and am enjoying catching up with again. I also getting to meet new people too which was fun!
A small little milestone...Ava finally grew the confidence to swim around the pool all by herself (with life jacket on of course)! She has gotten so much more comfortable in the water this summer...jumping in, going under water, etc., but still had not figured out that she would actually float and have some freedom if she let go of mommy. I pushed her a little bit to let go, she panicked for a quick second and then when I told her she was doing it...swimming all by herself...the smile on her face was priceless. I had to peel her out of the pool after that! She loved her new found freedom in the water! Lots of fun!

That night, the girls were exhausted but I decided to put Kate in her new "big girl bed". With the baby coming, we have decided to move Kate and Ava into the same room and have been gearing up with a new matching bed, bed sets and positive encouragement to Kate...who...is having a harder time than Ava did parting with her crib. At first, Kate wasn't so sure. As I shut the door, she started to whimper a bit. And then I heard Ava say..."it's okay sissy" which melted my heart! For about 10 minutes after that, I heard them giggling and playing...then...it was all quiet! Yes!! Well...that was until about 11:30PM, 2:30AM and 4:30AM when Kate woke up crying:-( Doug (who drove home after work that night), finally put her back in her crib at 4:30. Poor little thing...it's hard because I know she's probably nervous about her new sleeping arrangement, but we're keeping up the positive encouragement and will continue the new routine until she sleeps through the night!

Saturday, Grandpa C picked up the girls in the AM and headed over to meet Uncle Tim & Luke for a day at a car show and picnic in the park. I don't know who was more excited...Grandpa or the girls. They all had a ball...looking at the cars, riding a train and having a picnic. Some pics posted below.
This provided a nice break for Doug and I...we had the WHOLE day and night to ourselves! My mom and I went and got pedicures and manicures that morning, then off to meet my friend Lindsay who was in town for the week from California for lunch...and then...home to clean! I cleaned the whole house which may not sound like fun, but I can't tell you how therapeutic it was going through my "routine" and accomplishing it all in one afternoon. I love Ava and Kate like there is no tomorrow, but not having 2 little munchkins following me around and getting stuff out that I had just put away, was really, really nice. :-)

After my clean spree, Doug and I headed down to the "docks" for dinner. We went to a Seafood restaurant and had so much fun. The food was fantastic (I had almond encrusted whitefish and he had scallops) and I just LOVE hanging out with just my hubby. It's my absolute favorite thing to do in the whole wide world. He is my best! After that we went and saw the 'Time Traveler's Wife'. The story was well put together, the acting great...but sort of too sad for my taste...I cried like a baby for about 30% of the movie:-) I'm more of a comedy girl!

Today...we woke up without any sort of alarm clock (mechanical or kids), drank coffee, read the paper and then got ready for church. After church, Ava, Grandma and I went school shopping which was so much fun. I remember doing this with my mom when I was a little girl...it was always a special day with my mom. I want to have the same tradition with Ava & Kate...not only is it so much fun to dress them up (girl clothes are so stinking cute)...but it's fun to make them feel extra, extra special once in a while! I think Ava had fun...she picked out some new outfits, got lemonade when we stopped for coffee, and Twizzlers. A fun, fun afternoon!

While I was shopping with Ava, Doug took Kate to the grocery store. I called Doug to see where he was at and all I could hear in the background was Kate singing at the top of her lungs. That's our Kate...oblivious to her surroundings, sitting in the front of the grocery cart, singing at the top of her lungs. I love how she makes us laugh!!!

All in all...you know you've had a fantastic weekend when Sunday night your heart brims with love for the family and friends you got to spend your time with! I'm a thankful girl:-)

Comments

Jen said…
sounds like such a great weekend kim! your girls are just too cute. by the way this is jen albon--- love reading your blog! good luck with baby on the way!!
orahoods said…
What a sweet post...made me happy just reading all of your happy thoughts!
Thanks guys:-) Jen...I hope all is well with you. Your family is adorable. Funny how we're sort of in the same boat with girls!

Popular posts from this blog

Ava's First Day of Kindergarten!

Funny Kate.

Words...