Day at the Park

Today at the park, Ava initiated a conversation with a little 4 year old boy who we later found out was named Nash.  He was sitting on a see-saw with his mom.  Ava threw a few quick smiles his way and then an exuberant "Hey! Do you want to play?" To which Nash replied with an excited..."yeah...mom, help me off this see-saw!"  He was the cutest little boy...full of smiles, extremely outgoing and as excited as Ava to have made a new friend.  The two of them hit it off immediately and enjoyed each other's company for the next hour. 

I began talking with his mom - a mother of 4 - kids ranging in age from senior in high school to Nash, their youngest.  As we chatted and watched the kids play...I noticed that Nash had casts on his legs and had some trouble keeping up with Ava.  At the jungle gym he had to hold onto the side bars or crawl to make it up the stairs.  As we watched...his mom told me that he had muscular dystrophy.  My heart just sank for the both of them.  But as my heart sank, instead of dwelling on what she had just told me, she continued on with our conversation.

Next thing we knew...Ava and Nash were venturing over to a taller slide.  Ava ran to the top and patiently waited for her new friend.  Nash's mom offered to help him climb the stairs...but he was determined to do it himself.  He struggled.  Unable to stand...he had to pull his lower body up the stairs inch by inch with his arms.  As we watched him fight to get up the stairs - Nash's mom started crying, quickly apologizing to me, but explained that moments like that were the hardest thing for her to watch.  I had to work to fight tears back myself...and wasn't quite sure what to say.  I told her that I couldn't imagine but that Nash had the most fantastic attitude - so determined and happy - enjoying his time at the park.  He was strong and sharp and seemed like a fighter.  She then started to laugh and began telling me about Nash outsmarting his older brothers - he can't keep up with them physically but knows how to push their buttons!  She quickly re-composed herself and told me a little bit about muscular dystrophy.  Unfortunately, there is no cure for Nash and that their goal right now is to maintain the strength that he currently has.  They're trying to give him the most normal life possible.  The good news...Nash made it to the top of the stairs...and he went down the slide with a huge smile, Ava following close after.  He then proceeded to go down 4 more times!  Talk about a determined kid!  A few things hit me hard at the playground today...

1. Nash's mom.  I cannot imagine having a child with this sort of disease.  Watching the struggles and hardships her child has to face on a daily basis...and knowing that there is no cure.  Unimaginable.  But her patience, her positive attitude, faith, kindness and the strength she demonstrated for her child on the playground that day...what an amazing lady!  What an amazing example to all she encounters.  I couldn't help thinking all day about how I would cope.  Things in life aren't always fair...we don't know why sweet children have such awful diseases.   It's the age old question - "why do bad things happen to good people?".  But we are dealt the situations we are dealt and we have no choice but to deal with them.  I am thankful for my faith that is there through thick and thin, and the trust and comfort I have knowing that God gives us what we need in all situations...good or bad.  He gets us through all things.   

2.  Nash.  This kid was amazing.  Not once did he cry or pout or let his legs get him down.  He just wanted to keep up with Ava and slide down that slide!  What an example this kid is!  I whine and throw myself pity parties over the stupidest things...work, the house not being clean, "I don't like this" comments after I make dinner, dirty diapers, etc.  When I see a child with such a devastating disease, working past his disability to enjoy his day at the park...it's a big "wake up" and reminder of how petty my complaints are.   I need to thankful for all in my life - my blessings...and my hardships.  And I pray that Nash goes through his whole life with that same determination, joy and smile.   

3.  Ava.  There was a side to Ava revealed to me today that was absolutely beautiful.  Not once did she make a comment about Nash's casts...or the fact that he had to crawl up the stairs to go down the slide with her - she looked at her new friend with complete transparency.  She saw past the differences and saw only the goodness in Nash.  She was so patient, so kind.  I pray with all of my heart that these traits stay with her always.  That she can always look at outward appearances/situations with transparency to see the goodness inside people's hearts.  That she will always be compassionate, patient and kind to others.  I pray this with all my heart and am going to fight my hardest to help her maintain those characteristics. 

So anyways, sorry for the sappy post...but it's not every day you run into people that make such an imprint on your heart.  What a day at the park! 

Comments

orahoods said…
Wow, what a great and sad story. Makes me extra thankful tonight:) God bless Nash and sweet Ava!
B-Mama said…
This is so sweet! What a doll Ava was to her new friend... I hope to raise children who see past differences like she did. Thanks for sharing this beautiful little tale. xo

Popular posts from this blog

Ava's First Day of Kindergarten!

Funny Kate.

Words...